Friday, December 17, 2010

My Purpose Driven Life. I Think...Pt II



This is the second half of a (long) post I wrote earlier, on life and courage. I said before that the older i grow, the more responsibility I am faced with and the more I realise that to maintain my focus I need to put my life in order. I need to 'prune' my life into place, I think. Because I really really believe your life should only contain things that matter:)

In the process of pruning, I’ve had to make some difficult decisions but I’m learning that good, solid…and correct… decisions leave you a little sad, but much more at peace with yourself. In the end you’re stuck with yourself for eternity, do you really want to keep justifying your choices to yourself? Better to do the right thing, not the convenient thing, hard as it may be and be at peace. I think. That’s where the serenity quote comes in. You really need wisdom to determine what is worth letting go of in your life, and what deserves to be retained. Because your life should only be full of things that matter; to your happiness, your peace and self-worth.

We need God’s help to accept that there will always be things we can not change even by working, wishing or waiting. We have to accept that, serenely. Not with excessive bouts of regret, self-pity or Jazmine Sullivan style Busting Windows of Cars but with calmness flowing from an inner confidence that all things will work together for your good no matter what today looks like. You need that attitude to weather the storms of life because Life is not for small kids! LOL! It can throw you some curve balls that understandably warrant a madness-demonstrating response…but you can't always give in to emotional impulses or you will drain yourself. Save your energy, cultivate serenity.

And for the things that are in our power to change, we need the courage from Him to take that first step on a journey of change. That’s often all you need. And God knows that. Any huge task starts with the very first attempt. Just as a journey of a thousand miles, begins with one step….random story, I had a Japanese friend called Ayumi which apparently means that first step in a long journey. Cool no? No? Ok, moving on. See Joshua 1:8, where Joshua is about to take the mantle of leadership of millions of people, from the much loved and well respected Moses. Imagin the anxiety! But God has absolute confidence in Joshua’s ability to rule, and rule well. And as if He knows that Joshua is nervous, He tells him: “ONLY be strong and very courageous”. As if that is all he needs to succeed. I really love that scripture. God understands fear, in particular, MY fears. In church on Sunday the pastor said “…courage is not the absence of fear, it is the mastery of fear. In the absence of fear, there is no need for courage.” We need to face our fears head-on and challenge them to do the worst they can. That’s the only way you bring yourself to the next level in your life. Otherwise you’re perpetually bound by your own fears, you wonder why you’re not growing but you can’t see that you are the one limiting yourself.

I find that I women sacrifice themselves easily, we prioritise other people to our detriment. Giving up on that and redirecting focus on yourself can be difficult. But when you prioritise your own aspirations, let go of things that hold you back, are courageous enough to go for gold & goals, and you trust your decisions then your peace of mind is guaranteed, your confidence in your abilities and love for yourself grows. Suddenly, you feel like you own the World, his fastidious father and his bootilicious babymama!

So in this journey to Purpose, here is what I wish myself and all women in the similar boat of finding themselves and running with a vision; “I wish you strong trust in yourself and faith in the future. The belief that you will make the right choices to bring you closer to the happiness you deserve. I wish you friends to surround you in the circle of their caring and love and people to help you laugh at life”. (Gotten from a birthday card I bought myself on my 22nd birthday and randomly found in my closet yesterday. Yes I bought myself a birthday card...lol…please focus!).

And some encouragement for those of us on the precipice of a difficult pruning decision…and for those currently working out a dream too, I’ll tell you what they told me in church on Sunday:

(Conversation between God and *insert your name here*)

God: “I’ll be with you. I wont give up on you ________; I wont leave you. Be strong and of good courage…Give it everything you have, heart and soul…don’t get off track, either left or right, so as to ensure you get where you’re going. And don’t for a minute let this Book of the Revelation (iLovit!) be out of mind. Ponder and meditate on it day and night (consistency!), make sure you practice everything written in it. Then you’ll get where you’re going; then you’ll succeed. Only be strong and very courageous, don’t be timid, don’t get discouraged __________. God, your God is with you every step you take.” –Joshua 1:5-8 Msg & KJV.

God knows that doing the right thing is never easy. You’re not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment