Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Confidence. And no, I'm not talking about your housemaid.

Seriously though what is it with African housemaids and the use of virtues or Olde English names as their given names?(Yes Griselda Igwe, I’m talking to you. Patience Iniobong stop laughing there like this doesnt apply to you too!) A German friend of mine, gave birth to a baby and called her Clara….*long-suffering sigh* I was hard pressed keeping myself from telling this wonderful couple that that name is reserved for maids and secretaries where I come from. Amongst the coos of “Awwww beautiful name for a baby girl”, a “Wow, got Maid?” would have been rather inappropos.

You know, I think a lot. When normal humans say that, they mean they think of deeply useful things that may benefit humanity…well, me, myself, I just think a lot. While I’m staring at my text book trying to make sense of the criminal procedure words swimming across the page, my mind is doing The Locomotion. Recently I thought about Beyonce’s song ‘Ego’. I love that song and all it stands for…I mean how can you not?!?! At one point she just sits down and proceeds to RAIN praises on herself. I love it. Pre-crack Whitney told us ‘Learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all.’ Truth.

Infact at this point I have to drop the pearls of wisdom gleaned from the Bastidious One himself, Kat Williams. He says “NO ONE should be able to make you lose your self esteem…shh******ttttt, its esteem of your damn self!!”

Growing up I was encouraged to love myself, in fact I never ever in my life envisioned there was anything I couldn’t do if I decided to put my mind to it. I was talkin to a guy at school one day, now turns out when I first met this boy I introduced myself and proceeded to tell him he could just call me Fabulous for short whenever the feeling hit him…and I assured him it would. Very soon. Lol, I was just fooling around as usual. Fast forward to months of being friends and one day we are talking about our families. When I mention how much pride my father takes in his girls and how much encouragement he always gives us…Obama’s 'Yes We Can' slogan was stolen from my house …..this my friend didn’t say a word as I spoke. When I finally realized I was soliloquizing, I ask him why the silence and he says, “NOW I understand why you think you are so fabulous!” Lol!! I was chagrined to learn he didn’t think I was fabulous *hiss* the way he said it like my claim of Fabulosity is limited to my own view of myself!

I think I’m a rather big deal, is this wrong? Like is it wrong to believe that you yourself are so great and to expect a similar standard in a significant other? Because people say all the time “Oh women have standards that are too high that is why there are so many single women. Or “There are many good men but the women can’t see them cos they have such high standards”. I mean I don’t know about that seeing as my application to the Good Men Census Board was rejected. Damn recession. Hopefully my application to the Association Against Salacious Sugar Daddies(AASS’D) will err on the successful side.*shrugs*

The women on the other hand of this debate….well according to the Essence magazine at my hairdressers (a salon called Drastic Changes….am I a glutton for punishment or what???) tells me that people only think that there are many good men out there BEcause when you "….grade on a curve steep enough even mediocrity begins to look amazing."

Errrrr, I don’t really know about that, I’m just saying is it right to think you are an outstanding-well rounded person or is that a sin of the heart like pride? Is it even a sin at all? Or is God looking down and nodding slowly in a Snoop-Dogg like manner thinking “Yuuuuup, go ‘head girrrrrl, whoop-whoop!!!” Its confusing.

P.S:I just read this post and I have to say, is this not the height?!?! To be confused by ones innate fabulousness. LOL @ my damn self!!!LOL!!!..... “Its tooooo biiiigggg, its too wiiiddddeeee, its too stroooonnnggg….Love my huge ego.”



After a much-needed hiatus, I have to say I'm back in love with Kanye West. Yes, I am aware of his certified status as a diva-dude(potentially the worst thing a negroid male may be in some circles) but I'm certified its all an act...and that I am the answer to his question. Yes, its that bloody Ego again.

No comments:

Post a Comment